Toni hints at Serie A return


Bayern forward Luca Toni has suggested that he would be open to offers from Italy and is eyeing a comeback in Serie A.

The former Palermo and Fiorentina target man has been incessantly linked with a return to his home land after his employers, Bayern, signed Mario Gomez from Stuttgart, adding to the number of strikers in the squad.

Speaking to Sky Sports in Italy, Toni said he would consider a return to Italy but it all depended on the offers and Bayern's wishes.

"I'd like to return to Italy, I think that's normal. Now is a time of crisis for Italian teams, so they cannot invest much," he said.

"Certainly, I am not a slave because of my high salary. However, if I did not find space [to play] at Bayern, then I would not have a problem reducing my wages and returning to Italy. Of course I would have to consider what Bayern want as well."

Additionally, Toni spoke about his campaign at the Confederations cup in South Africa, where Italy were knocked out thanks to losses against Egypt and Brazil.

"I did not do well at the Confederations Cup, just like my team-mates," he confessed.

"It seemed that I had a disappointing season, but I still scored 18 goals in 35 matches. I don't think I'm better or worse off than anyone, but it is clear I must prove myself for the World Cup or someone else should go in my place."

"I have not had any further contact with [Italy coach Marcello] Lippi in this regard."

A return to Serie A would certainly provide the 2006 World Cup winner with an opportunity to impress Marcelo Lippi and build his confidence ahead of next year's tournament, where Italy will be looking to hold on to their crown.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
©2009 soccer-transfers-news | by TNB