Vermaelen signs for Gunners


Ajax v Manchester United


Thomas Vermaelen is convinced he has joined a club going places after becoming Arsenal's first signing of the summer.

The Belgian international defender, 23, has signed a long-term contract with the Gunners after agreeing what was reported to be a £10million move from Ajax.

Manager Arsene Wenger has moved quickly to strengthen a squad which was often exploited at the back last season, when Arsenal eventually recovered some consistency to finish in fourth place.

The Gunners face a play-off to reach the group stages of the Champions League, but Vermaelen is in no doubt of just what his new club - who were knocked out at the semi-final stage of both the FA Cup and in Europe - can achieve.

"Everything is set up for Arsenal to be very successful for years to come and I joined this club because I know Arsenal will be challenging for trophies," Vermaelen said in an interview with www.arsenal.com.

"Arsenal are a great club with a world class manager, high quality players and a fantastic stadium.

"I have had a good taste of the Champions League during my time with Ajax and this is something I am looking forward to experiencing again with Arsenal."

Vermaelen, who captained Ajax last season and played against the Gunners in the 2005/2006 European campaign, added: "I am also looking forward to playing in the English Premier League, which for me, is the best league in the world.

"I just want to assure the Arsenal fans that I will give everything for this club and I hope we can enjoy winning some trophies together next season."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
©2009 soccer-transfers-news | by TNB